Saturday, July 15, 2006

What does it mean to be named Sieder?

Ecclesiastes says that everything is meaningless and I always wondered how far you could take that thought. The photo above is of a Jewish boy killed in WWII named Josef Sieder. The link below tells about an Islamist terrorist with the name Mohammed Sieder who was killed in Hevron. I guess the Sieder name is on both sides of the Jewish / Islamic fighting. As far as I know, my ancestors were Christians from Germany and were not Jewish or Islamic.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=48063

My father was a U.S. Marine in WWII. There was a German U-Boat captain in WWII named Heinz Sieder (U-984) who was virtually the same age as my father who died in his U-Boat near the end of the war. I guess there were Sieders on both sides of the war.
http://uboat.net/men/sieder.htm

I was taught to be proud of my name and family heritage, but you can see that my last name is a mixed bag in history. "What counts is a new creation." Everything "under the sun" ends up being meaningless. It is only by letting God make a new creation in us that true meaning ever comes our way.

No comments: