Friday, May 04, 2007

Skip Coryell

My roommate in college wanted to be a writer. One time I was busy when Skip asked me to type up a paper for him. I had a little time so I did type it and realized that he was gifted at writing. Several years after I left college I happened to notice a photo on the front of a Sunday school paper that was taken at my college. I saw that the article was written by Skip and it was a story about how he broke his ankle playing soccer but it ended up in the chance to talk to a young man in his hospital room about the Lord.

Very recently I saw in a college magazine that Skip had authored some books and I got on his website. I also wrote him e-mails and it was great to see an old friend realize his dream and use his gift for the Lord.

Skip's Website

The Red Pill

I am reading Inside Skip's Brain and enjoying it very much.

Sample Skip's Brain

Skip is big on Second Amendment rights. I agree with much of what he says, but like Skip, I believe men are evil at heart and sin is the big problem and only the Lord Jesus can solve that problem for men.

One time I said something dumb while we were talking in our dorm room and Skip turned to me and said, "Carl, are you a dullard?" I will never forget that as he always had a great sense of humor and was fun and sincere. Skip was in the Marine Reserve and punched a hole in our dorm room closet door with an umbrella showing us the six basic maneuvers for rifle with fixed bayonet.

Listening to his voice on the podcast from the Iowa radio station on his website he sounds like he has matured over the years and his voice has changed. He sounds more articulate and speaks well. I can see that he makes a great guest on a radio talk show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carl, I had totally forgotten about that hole in the closet I made with the umbrella. I remember having to pay for that. I don't remember the dullard comment either, but I'll take you at your word. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. It was good getting reacquainted after so many years. Please stay in touch.

Skip